Saturday 11 May 2013

The Killing Moon - N. K. Jemisin

RATING: FOUR STARS 

Gujaareh is a city that knows true peace. There is almost no crime, virtually any ailment or injury can be cured via dream magic, and its people flourish under a deep spiritual understanding. It is Gatherers that enforce this peace – agents of the dream goddess who root out and destroy those deemed to be corrupt.

But not all is it seems. Rumours of war are beginning to circulate and evidence of corruption in Gujaareh is mounting. But, worse still, bodies of people who have died in horrific agony are beginning to appear all around the city. Gather Ehiru knows of only one such creature that can kill in such a manner – a Reaper - and understands that it falls to him and his apprentice to slay it and restore balance to Gujaareh. What Ehiru does not know, however, is that the secretes they will uncover while hunting the monster could quickly prove to be the doom of all. 

The Good 
One of the things I particularly liked about The Killing Moon was its Ancient Egyptian setting. By basing the book’s culture on the Egyptians, rather than feudal Europe like most fantasy novels do, N. K. Jemisin has managed to give The Killing Moon a unique feel that made it very interesting to read. This, along with her vivid descriptions and superb character development, really allowed me to immerse myself in her story. 

Another thing that I liked about The Killing Moon was its simple and well explained storyline. In fact, throughout the book the events and factors that influence Ehiru’s (and the other characters) decisions are clearly laid out. This is makes it easy to follow their progress througout the story and helps the book to read lightly as a whole. This is something I found particularly refreshing since I've been focusing on reading big series’ recently that drip feed information over a few books! 

The Bad 
The only issue I had with The Killing Moon was with a series of intermissions that Jemisin spaces throughout the novel, which do little to add to the plotline. An unknown character is speaking in these intermissions, who is apparently telling a story to another unknown person. I found that these breaks became slightly annoying after a while because they had little to do with the events unfolding in book. Saying that some of them were actually quite interesting, but I thought that overall, they detracted from the story and just seemed a little pointless. 

My Thoughts 
I enjoyed The Killing Moon though, and found that it had a fresher feel to it than many of the fantasies I've read lately. The book was a good length, so didn't take too long to read, and I have to say that I’ll be finishing the duology off with its sequel (The Shadowed Sun) fairly soon. I was impressed with it guys – you should definitely give The Killing Moon a go!

No comments:

Post a Comment